Tied laces
My heart races
Imagining my paces
Seeing eager faces
Look on as I take my mark.
One jump to relax,
Another to feel the track
Beneath my flats.
Hands out in front
Squatting to begin the run
I’m in the blocks.
Touching the ground
Arched, waiting for the sound.
Blinders set
Deep breath in, out,
I feel the hush of the crowd.
Breathe in,
GUN!
I’m off, as graceful as the Gazelle
I need to maintain distance
Can’t get drowned in the race.
One two one twoBeating flats hit the dirt
One two one two one two
I’m closing in, closer closer
Turn one, neck and neck
First straight away is a battle for place
I pull ahead, One runner gone.
I push harder, Two runners gone.
Breathing gets heavy
Taste of cotton discourages me, but still I push.
I’m at practice
It’s all the same
Lift my knees, Arch my back,
keep my arms low and dig,
Push Push Push.
Left right left right
Breaths are shorter paces quicken
Left right left right left right
My wings are spread as I fly into the next turn
The straight gets shorter, turns come faster
Three laps gone
Defeat would be disaster.
A final turn
Home’s in sight
I dig for one last push
Deep breath, in out,
In out in out
Counting my paces
Shortening the spaces
Not much further now.
In out in out
Left right left right
I’m so close yet so far away.
One runner on my left,
Another on my right
One trots ahead in my line of sight.
I need this
I want it more
I can catch them if I work
I dig, I dig, and I lean
Finish line.
I’m tipped.
No tape on my chest.
Second place
Better than the rest.
First Dream Race
A Sterling Victory.